From KCB Library Wiki
- Legley finished this quartet on 12 June 1944 in Brussels.
- In 14 March 1946, this work was first heard on Radio-Bruxelles from Flagey in Brussels in a performance by the Belgian Cello Quartet.
- In 1974, violist Alfons Volleman, a former colleague of Legley's in the NIR orchestra, made a transcription for 4 violas.
- instrumentation: 4 cellos
- duration: ca 17'
- I. Allegro energico
- time signature: 4/4
- II. Adagio
- time signature: 9/8
- III. Finale
- tempo: Allegro giocoso
- time signature: 3/8
- autograph: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-4005 onderdeel-1 (the autograph can also be consulted through this link)
- handwritten parts: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-4005 onderdeel-2 (the autograph can also be consulted through this link)
- Originally this work was dedicated to a cello quartet (probably to the Belgian Cello Quartet), but the name of the quartet was made illegible on the title page of the autograph.
- De Roeck (p.273) mistakenly gives July.
- Anonymous: Radio in La Libre Belgique of 14 March 1946, p.4. Only year and place can be found in CeBeDeM - lijst werken: Œuvres de Victor Legley, p.1.
- De Roeck, p.273. See also www.sabam.be.