Before endeavours fade/en
From KCB Library Wiki
dedicated to Irma Pauwels
Opus 92 A&B
- Legley might have composed this work for the 175th anniversary of the chapter of the lodge Les Amis Philanthropes. That chapter was inaugurated on 22 October 1802. The link with freemasonry is confirmed by the concert in 1983 celebrating the 150th anniversary of the lodge Groot Oosten van België mentioned by De Roeck, at which this composition was performed.
- Version A was completed on 16 July 1977.
- Version B, a transcription for wind orchestra, was completed on 23 January 1979. In 1985, Roger de Pauw re-orchestrated the work, with Legley's permission, again for wind orchestra.
- See also Legley's preface.
- A possible first performance of version A took place on 16 January 1979 in the concert hall of the Royal Conservatory of Brussels. The performers were the members of the Vlaams Kamerorkest van Brussel conducted by Arie van Lysebeth.
- The version for wind orchestra was first performed on 19 July 1985 in the city theatre in Kortrijk by the Groot Harmonieorkest der Gidsen conducted by Norbert Nozy.
- version A: string orchestra
- version B: wind orchestra
- tempo: Molto adagio
- time signature: 4/4
- Concertzender.nl: recording of version A by Brussels Philharmonic conducted by Jan Latham-Koenig.
- version A
- version B
- autograph: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-4056
- In autograph A: Voor Ma. [For Mum.] His mother had died in 1976, see De Roeck (p.31, 495 and 497).
- Jean-Pierre Bouyer: Victor Legley
- Wikipedia: Les Amis philanthropes
- De Roeck, p.496.
- Note on p.22 in autograph B: Le mauvais temps m'a permis de terminer cette orchestration le 23.I.79.
- De Roeck, p.497.
- See the invitation sent by the friends of the Royal Conservatory of Brussels for the New Year's concert of 1979, to be found in Royal Conservatory of Brussels (B-Bc), no shelf number yet (Legley archive).
- At least 8 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos and 1 double bass. Legley wrote down in the autograph of version A: N.B. Het aantal instrumenten is als een minimum bedoeld. Graag meer! Bijzonder wat alti, celli en bassen betreft. [N.B. The number of instruments is intended as a minimum. Please, more! Especially concerning the violas, cellos and double basses.]
- For some reason, the CeBeDeM website gives a different duration for each version.
- A facsimile of this autograph was published as supplement to the fifth number of Muziekkrant (January 1980).