Sonata for violin and piano
From KCB Library Wiki
Revision as of 08:08, 6 August 2021 by Koenraad
dedicated to Henri Desclin and Marthe Crickboom
- This sonata was completed on 22 November 1942 in Brussels.
- The work was first performed on 2 March 1943 by violinist Henri Desclin and pianist Marthe Crickboom in the Centre for Fine Arts in Brussels.
- I. Allegro (2/4)
- II. Grazioso (2/4) - Andante cantabile (C)
- III. Allegro vivace (3/8)
- Concertzender.nl: recording by Jenny Spanoghe and Daniel Blumenthal.
- autograph 1: Royal Library of Belgium (B-Br), shelf number Mus. Ms. 681. This manuscript contains fingerings in pencil.
- autograph 2: manuscript in a private collection which must once have belonged to Gaby Altmann, whose signature figures on the title page.
- first edition (score and violin part): CeBeDeM, Brussels, 1955
- In both autographs the work is still called suite, in the first edition however sonata. At least until 1949 the work was still called suite, see e.g. the section Radio in Gazet van Antwerpen of 17 November 1949, p.6.
- Both Tessely (p.66), De Roeck (p.263), as well as the first edition give 1943 as year of composition, without giving an exact date. The two autographs, however, contradict this.
- Joh.S.: Van Hier en Daar - Brussel in Het Laatste Nieuws of 26 February 1943, p.3. G.T.: Gewestelijk Nieuws in Het Nieuws van den Dag of 26 February 1943, p.2. E.V.D.V.: Muziekleven te Brussel in Het Algemeen Nieuws of 5 March 1943, p.2. DE TRIAY, Auguste: Chronique musicale in Le Soir of 10 March 1943, p.2. CeBeDeM - lijst werken: Œuvres de Victor Legley (p.1) only mentions the performers and the location.
- A newspaper article in Het Ypersche of 26 November 1943 (De Stad Ieper en haar Muziekakademie nog eens aan de eer, p.2) speaks of a suite for viola and piano, we suspect that this is a misprint.
- This is how it reads on the first edition, however, the recording by Jenny Spanoghe and Daniel Blumenthal at the Gailly label lasts 16'30".
- a violinist to whom Legley dedicated his serenade for 2 violins and piano.
- Title page: [signature of Gaby Altmann] | suite | voor viool en piano | pour violon et piano | vic legley (op 12.).
- Tessely (p.66) erroneously gives 1954.