From KCB Library Wiki
Revision as of 14:05, 30 September 2016 by Koenraad (Created page with "''Three English songs with string quartet accompaniment'' Opus 21 == History == *Legley composed these songs on texts by Muriel Lytton in 1945 (see below for more details)....")
Three English songs with string quartet accompaniment
- Legley composed these songs on texts by Muriel Lytton in 1945 (see below for more details). Later, Legley has started a revision of the cycle, but he has never finished this new version.
- The first performance took probably place on 26 May 1946 in auditory Akarova in Brussels. According to Legley himself, the work was not performed before 1948 by Ré Koster and the Haydn quartet at Flagey in Brussels.
- I. The Veil
- text incipit: I see the landscape through the falling mist
- finished on 28 August 1945
- tempo: Andante
- time signature: 3/4
- II. Harmony
- text incipit: I dreamed that I walked in a wood at night
- finished on 18 September 1945 in Brussel
- time signature: 5/4
- III. Dreaming
- text incipit: To lay full length upon a hill
- finished on 12 October 1945 in Izegem
- tempo: Andante moderato
- time signature: 2/4
- autograph (first version and uncompleted revision): Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-4085
- De Roeck, p.283.
- CeBeDeM - lijst werken: LIJST VAN DE WERKEN VAN VIC LEGLEY 22.6.1976, p.9. More details are not known.
- 2 violins, viola and cello.
- De Roeck, p.282.
- De Roeck (p.282) switches songs II en III. This seems to be how Legley had written it down on the it on the declaration for the NAVEA (SABAM), on which De Roeck based his description (he didn't have the score of the work at his disposal).