Small suite for piano
From KCB Library Wiki
Revision as of 10:56, 29 September 2016 by Koenraad (Created page with "''Children's pieces''<ref>The subtitle is copied from opus 8, to which opus 3 is probably identical.</ref> Opus 3 == History == *This suite is...")
- This suite is a revision of some movements from the original opus 7.
- Legley finished his suite op 15 July 1944.
- Only the first movement (Habanera) can be assigned with certainty to opus 3 (see sources). The attribution of the other movements is supported by a note by Legley on the title page of Spleen in the first autograph of Small piano music.
- instrumentation: piano
- I. Habanera
- no tempo indication
- time signature: 2/4
- II. Bagpipe
- first version finished on 12 April 1936 in Brussels
- tempo: Niet te vlug [Not too fast] (allegretto)
- time signature: 5/8
- III. Lied [Song]
- first version finished on 17 March 1936 in Brussels
- tempo: Traag [Slowly] (adagio)
- time signature: 3/4
- IV. Burleske [Burlesque]
- first version finished on 19 August 1936 in Brussels
- tempo: Zeer vlug [Very fast] (allegro vivo)
- time signature: 6/8
- autograph of Habanera: Royal Conservatory Antwerp (B-Ac), shelf number MM-MS-LEGLE-petite-1
- final autograph of Small piano music: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-3998-onderdeel-1
- first autograph of Small piano music: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-3998-onderdeel-2
- The subtitle is copied from opus 8, to which opus 3 is probably identical.
- De Roeck, p.243.
- This note is:
- This work is identical to Spleen in Small piano music.
- In Small piano music, the tempo is: habanera-beweging [habanera movement].
- Description based on the corresponding pieces in Small piano music. Possibly, Legley revised his youth compositions when compiling opus 3 (1944).
- On the title page of "Lied" in the first autograph of Small piano music, one still can read "voor bea" [for bea] (someone has erased it, but it still can be deciphered). This is clearly a reference to Beatrix Souvage, whom Legley married in 1939.
- Title page: Petite suite pour piano | Vic. Legley. op.3. | 1) Habanera