3 South African songs
From KCB Library Wiki
dedicated to Diane Legley
- Legley used poetry in Afrikaans by Elisabeth Eybers for this song cycle.
- This opus was completed by Legley on 6 November 1972 in Koksijde.
- On 12 March 1973, the cycle was premiered in Ypres' music academy by soprano Frida Neels and an unknown pianist.
- instrumentation: soprano and piano
- duration: ca 12'
- I. Die eerste nag [The first night]
- text incipit: Hoe veilig en stil is mij kindjie se slaap [How safe and quiet is my baby's sleep]
- II. Circe
- text incipit: Luister jij nog? [Are you still listening?]
- III. Verhaal [Story]
- text incipit: 'n Vrouw het stil geword van baie wag [A woman fell silent after much waiting]
- autograph: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-4043
- photocopy of the autograph of an early version: Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), no shelf number yet (Legley archive). This photocopy contains many annotations by Legley.
- Legley's granddaughter. The autograph reads: voor Diane(ke) [for (little) Diane]
- De Roeck, p.456.