From KCB Library Wiki
- Song cycle on texts by Alice Nahon, Albrecht Rodenbach and Felix Verbeke.
- The songs in this cycle are probably early songs that Legley revised in the first half of the forties. Only the music of Avondliedeken has been preserved.
- On 29 November 1943, the songs were performed in the city theatre of Ypres by soprano Irène Verhack and pianist Alice Vandenbroucke, this was presumably the first performance.
- On the page early works, this opus number is discussed further.
- instrumentation: soprano and piano
- duration: ca 8'30"
- 1. Avondliedeken [Evensong]
- 2. De zwane [The swan]
- 3. Eenzaamheid [Loneliness]
- autographs of Avondliedeken (first and later versions): Royal Conservatory Brussels (B-Bc), shelf number BV-03-4092
- The first version of Avondliedeken dates from 1933.
- Programme of Huldebetoon Victor Legley [Tribute to Victor Legley]: 1 & 2. In this programme the Avondliedeken is called Avondklacht, we assume this is a misprint.
- The original version of this song had the opus number 4 no.4.
- Later, Legley composed two other works on this text: one for female choir and one for soprano and piano.
- In the first version gematigd [moderate].
- De Roeck, p.243.